FIA says Bahrain goes ahead
Honda F1 website
Honda website

APRIL 13, 2012

FIA says Bahrain goes ahead

Motor racing's governing body, the FIA, has made it plain that it does not intend to cancel next weekend's Bahrain GP, round four of the world championship.

With security concerns due to civil unrest in Bahrain that erupted in February 2011, the governing body issued the following statement:

"The FIA sets the season's calendars following the proposal of the commercial rights holder (CRH) in accordance with the local national authorities in all matters relating to safety.

"Within that context, the FIA ensures that any event forming part of an FIA world championship is organised in compliance with the FIA statutes and the relevant sporting and technical regulations, and that the safety of the public, officials, drivers and teams is secured at all times during an event.

"The FIA must make rational decisions based on the information provided to us by the Bahraini authorities and by the CRH. In addition we have endeavoured to assess the ongoing situation in Bahrain.

"President Jean Todt led a fact-finding mission to the kingdom in November 2011, meeting a large number of decision-makers and opinion formers, including elected Shia members of parliament, the president of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, ambassadors from the European Union countries, the crown prince, the interior minister and many members of the business community.

"All expressed their wish for the Grand Prix to go ahead in 2012, and since then, the FIA has kept in close touch with all these stakeholders. Away from the public eye, the FIA has received regular security briefings from the most senior diplomatic officials based in the kingdom as well as from other independent experts.

"The 2012 calendar, as presented by the CRH, was ratified by the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in September 2011. Since then no request from the F1 Commission or the CRH has been made to the WMSC to either postpone or cancel the Bahrain Grand Prix.

"Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a world championship event in Bahrain. Therefore, the FIA confirms that the 2012 Gulf Air F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain will go ahead as scheduled."

Other stories for APRIL 13, 2012

FIA SAYS BAHRAIN GOES AHEAD

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - SCHUMACHER GOES TOP IN CHINA

FRIDAY PHOTOS

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - HAMILTON TOPS FIST SHANGHAI SESSION

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS