F1 circuit project in Rio still alive?

NOVEMBER 27, 2019

F1 circuit project in Rio still alive?

Moves to relocate the Brazilian GP from Sao Paulo to a brand new circuit in Rio de Janeiro are continuing.

Earlier in 2019, controversial Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro said there was a "99 per cent" chance that Rio will host grands prix in the near future.

Officials in Sao Paulo hit back at that claim, with Interlagos race promoter Tamas Rohonyi saying recently that the Rio project is "not serious" and that talks about a ten-year contract extension is in the works.

But Globo now reports that at a meeting of Rio's legislative assembly this week, an environmental impact study for construction of the new circuit in the northern Deodoro region was received.

"Only with the approval of this study can the circuit be built," the broadcaster explained.

A one-year deadline for approval of the study was imposed, and at the city council next week, a bill that would allow race contracts to be drawn up will be voted on.

Last year, MotoGP promoter Dorna signed a letter of intent to host a race on the new 5 kilometre track, and F1's Liberty Media has also been in talks with local Rio authorities.

Spanish construction company Acciona is lined up to build the Rio track, with assistance from Sporttotal, a Germany company that is also involved at the Nurburgring.

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 27, 2019

NO RETIREMENT IN FORESEEABLE FUTURE SAYS VETTEL

GASLY COULD RETURN TO RED BULL

HAMILTON COULD STRUGGLE TO WIN IN 2020

KVYAT SHOULD LEAVE RED BULL PROGRAMME SAYS MARTSENKO

VERGNE RECALLS DIFFICULT TIME UNDER MARKO

DRIVING STYLE THE SAME WITH 19-INCH TYRES

THIS YEAR BETTER FOR WILLIAMS THAN 2018

HARD TO IDENTIFY WITH MODERN F1 FOR PIERO FERRARI

TOP TEAMS WILL STILL DOMINATE IN 2021 SAYS STEINER

2021 SPECULATION DOESN'T AFFECT ME SAYS VERSTAPPEN

ECCLESTONE DEFENDS FERRARI AMID CHEATING CLAIMS

F1 CIRCUIT PROJECT IN RIO STILL ALIVE?

MONTOYA UNLIKELY TO COMPLETE TRIPLE CROWN