Daimler denies Mercedes team rumours

SEPTEMBER 24, 2020

Daimler denies Mercedes team rumours

Lewis Hamilton, Tuscan GP 2020
© Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd.

Daimler has added an official denial to reports that Mercedes' works team could be sold to a major sponsor for $900 million.

The claim had been made by former F1 team owner Eddie Jordan, who told Ziggo Sport he is "absolutely sure" Mercedes will be bought by Ineos.

Jordan also said it was time for team boss Toto Wolff to step down.

Wolff rejected the Ineos rumour, and now a spokesman for Daimler - Mercedes' carmaker parent - is also denying the speculation that is swirling around the team.

"We will continue with the team, and it will also be a Mercedes team," the spokesman told DPA news agency. "We are not planning to go.

"We also don't plan to have another team boss."

At the same time, the unnamed Daimler official took the opportunity to play down suggestions that Lewis Hamilton may be dithering over a new contract amid the turmoil.

"We'll continue with the same people: Lewis, Valtteri and Toto," he said.

(GMM)

Other stories for SEPTEMBER 24, 2020

ASTON MARTIN TO GIVE VETTEL BOOST SAYS KUBICA

DAIMLER DENIES MERCEDES TEAM RUMOURS

RED BULL DIDN'T CARE ABOUT WOLFF'S CONCORDE STANCE

NO MORE HONDA UPGRADES IN 2020 SAYS YAMAMOTO

F1 CHOOSING SHOW OVER SAFETY SAYS MINARDI

SPEED OF IMOLA TICKET SALES EXCITING

ALONSO HITS OUT AT LACK OF 2021 WINTER TESTING

NEW F1 SUPREMO DOMENICALI A GOOD MAN SAYS ECCLESTONE