JULY 9, 2016
Button hints at possible McLaren exit
Jenson Button has given the biggest hint yet that he could be on the way out at McLaren-Honda.
The F1 veteran joined the Woking team in 2010 but McLaren now seems to be planning for the future and a race seat for Stoffel Vandoorne in 2017.
"I'm happy with my drivers," team boss Eric Boullier said at Silverstone, when asked what his fantasy driver lineup would be. "I've got Stoffel on the wing as well, so Stoffel," he added.
Button, 36, is linked with a potential return to Williams, where his career began in 2000, but he said at Silverstone that he also sees a future in rallycross or professional triathlon.
He indicated that his time at McLaren-Honda is now nearing its end.
"If I am racing next year, I will only be racing if I am in a car that is competitive," said Button.
"I have enjoyed the (Honda) journey the last year and a half but there is a point where you feel you have done enough and you can't give any more to the project to help it move forward," the Briton added.
"Hopefully, a little further into this season we (McLaren-Honda) will see where we are and hopefully it will be a good place to be, or somewhere else is a good place to be and I can challenge for podiums or victories."