Formula One News — January 2016

JANUARY 22, 2016

Early 2016 to be challenging for Red Bull

With the engine supply crisis of last year finally over, Red Bull is not ruling out staying in F1 even beyond 2020.

Renault says Red Bull era was going nowhere

Renault concluded last year that returning to winning ways in collaboration with Red Bull would not be possible.

Villeneuve, Berger lament state of today's F1

Two former F1 drivers have lamented the current state of the sport.

No date set for Capito's McLaren move

Jost Capito, McLaren's new team CEO, has not confirmed speculation he will start work at the Honda-powered team in April or May.

Argentine government targeting F1 race return

An Argentinean minister has confirmed the government's desire to see formula one return to the South American country.

Red Bull to reveal new livery next month

The F1 world will get its first look at Red Bull's 2016 livery next month.

JANUARY 21, 2016

Ferrari denies Toro Rosso to use 2016 engine

Toro Rosso and Ferrari have played down media reports that are doing the rounds on Thursday.

Azerbaijan pushing ahead despite GP rumours

Amid swirling rumours, the promoter of F1's newest race said Azerbaijan cannot wait for its inaugural grand prix.

Renault to reveal 2016 plans in Paris

The media has been summoned to Paris for February 3, as Renault presses the throttle on its plans for 2016.

Mateschitz paying EUR 3m for Salzburgring?

More details about Dietrich Mateschitz's latest acquisition have emerged.

New GP2 sponsor eyes F1

The new sponsor of a GP2 team is tipped to eventually enter formula one.

Oil crisis threatens Azerbaijan GP

Azerbaijan's inaugural grand prix should be in doubt, according to an economist.

Alonso's manager eyes competitive 2016 McLaren

Fernando Alonso's manager says he is confident McLaren-Honda will prepare a better car for the Spaniard to race in 2016.

Williams contemplating Honda switch

Williams' Rob Smedley has played down suggestions the Grove team might be contemplating a shock switch from F1's field-leading Mercedes power.

Kubica's rally career could end?

Robert Kubica's rally career could end after the forthcoming season opener in Monte Carlo.

F1 option not closed for Merhi

Roberto Merhi is not giving up on formula one.

JANUARY 20, 2016

Rivola leaves F1 team to head Ferrari 'academy'

Massimo Rivola, a long-time member of Ferrari's travelling F1 team, has confirmed he will have a different role in the future.

Red Bull facing fine after Verstappen snow run

Red Bull is facing the possibility of a EUR 30,000 fine after Max Verstappen's spectacular blast up and down the famous Kitzbuhel ski slopes last week.

Montezemolo wants more 'thanks' from Ferrari

Luca di Montezemolo thinks he deserves more credit for the contribution he made to Ferrari.

Manor drops 'Marussia' from F1 team name

Manor has dropped the word 'Marussia' from its official name in formula one.

Marciello splits with Ferrari and Sauber

Raffaele Marciello has split with Ferrari and will also no longer work with the Ferrari-powered F1 team Sauber.

Lukoil to be Russian GP sponsor - report

Organisers of the Russian grand prix look to have secured a title sponsor for the fourth edition of the Sochi race this year.

Vettel to also test Ferrari next week

Sebastian Vettel will keep his pre-season preparations in a high gear next week.

F1 Commission approves engine cost-cap plan

The F1 Commission on Tuesday approved a plan by the sport's engine manufacturers to impose a cap on the price of supplying to customer teams.