Formula One News — February 2002

FEBRUARY 11, 2002

Still nothing for Formula 3000 Champion Wilson

You have to feel sorry for International Formula 3000 champion Justin Wilson.

Verstappen annoyed by Arrows behavior

Jos Verstappen has made it very clear that he is less than delighted by the behavior of the Orange Arrows team and is considering legal action against the outfit.

FEBRUARY 10, 2002

Haymarket and CART

Haymarket Publishing has long been the leading publishing business in motor racing but despite occasional forays into promotional magazines for F1 teams and car manufacturers the company has managed to maintain the reputation of being relatively independent.

Montoya sets record pace at final day in Valencia

Williams and BAR returned to Valencia on Sunday, where Juan-Pablo Montoya shattered the track record in the new BMW powered FW24.

F2002 makes impressive debut at Fiorano

Michael Schumacher gave the new Ferrari F2002 it's first test at the team's Fiorano circuit, and quickly showed the car's potential by breaking the track record.

The danger of the Melbourne Coroner's Report

The report of the Victorian State Coroner Graeme Johnstone into the death of marshal Graeme Berveridge in an accident during last year's Australian GP was a controversial document, ruling as it did that the accident was "avoidable".

Pollock Grand Prix

There is no doubt that Craig Pollock was less than happy when he was ousted from his role at British American Racing.

FEBRUARY 9, 2002

Mosley says that China has three F1 projects

Max Mosley said that there are three Formula 1 projects at the moment in China: one in Shanghai, one in Beijing and the third at a regional city inside the country.

Alesi gets a McLaren seat-fitting!

Jean Alesi has had a seat-fitting at McLaren - but the current drivers are not apparently too worried as the team is not about to hire the veteran Frenchman to race.

F1 numbers to remain the same

The disappearance of Prost Grand Prix will not change the F1 numbering system this season with numbers 18 and 19, which were to go to Prost, being left unused this year.

Mosley says he wants a new appeal system

FIA President Max Mosley says that he would like to see a new appeal system in F1 to stop teams appealing decisions as a matter of course.

Ascanelli moves to Maserati

Giorgio Ascanelli, the head of research and development at Ferrari, has been transferred to be the new technical head of sporting operations at Maserati. He will be replaced in his role at Ferrari by Ignazio Lunetta.

Testing winds down in Valencia

Williams and BAR returned to the Ricardo Tormo circuit on Saturday, while Arrows decided to sort out their rear wing problem rather than continue their testing program as scheduled.

Crashes everywhere in Spain

It has been a destructive couple of days in Formula 1 circles with David Coulthard rolling a McLaren on Friday in Barcelona and Heinz-Harald Frentzen having two high-speed rear wing failures with his Arrows in Valencia on Saturday.

FEBRUARY 8, 2002

Arrows forgets to tell Verstappen...

Jos Verstappen has a right to be less than pleased with life at the moment but to add insult to injury he says he has not heard from the Arrows team that his services will not be required in 2002 - except by reading it on the team website.

Mosley winds up the interest in F1

This is the time of year when FIA President Max Mosley traditionally has a series of lunches with some of the leading F1 journalists.

FIA responds to Melbourne criticism

The FIA has hit back at the Melbourne Coroner's ruling that the death of marshal Graeme Beveridge was "avoidable".

Kirch offers F1 deal to manufacturers

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported this morning that the Kirch Group has approached the car manufacturers with an offer to get them involved in running SLEC.

Coroner report released

Victoria State coroner, Graeme Johnstone's report on his findings into the death of a course marshal during last year's Australian GP were released Friday, and was very critical of race organizers.

Another testing accident

David Coulthard became the latest driver this week to suffer a major testing accident when he lost control of his McLaren MP4/17 in Barcelona.

Sponsor loyal to Verstappen, dumps Arrows

While Tom Walkinshaw and Arrows have abandoned Jos Verstappen, Dutch sponsor, Trust, will remain loyal to him.

Montoya fastest at Valencia

The testing lineup slimmed down Friday in Valencia, with five teams in action.

DAMS pulls out of Formula 3000

Just to underline the state of motor racing in France, DAMS has announced that it is pulling out of Formula 3000 this year.

FEBRUARY 7, 2002

Villeneuve for Le Mans?

There is speculation that Jacques Villeneuve might be planning to race at Le Mans this year, sharing an Audi with his friend Patrick Lemarie.