Renault recommended Magnussen to Haas
Honda F1 website
Honda website

NOVEMBER 25, 2016

Renault recommended Magnussen to Haas

Kevin Magnussen is heading to Haas with the recommendation of many in the F1 paddock, including those at his current team Renault.

That is the claim of Haas team boss Gunther Steiner, explaining the decision to pick the Dane to replace Esteban Gutierrez for 2017.

"Everyone knows that we spoke with Kevin already last year," Steiner told the Danish broadcaster TV2 in Abu Dhabi.

"At the time we chose Romain Grosjean because he had more experience. But now he has run through this season and we have been able to see what he delivers."

Magnussen has said he got a one-year offer to stay at Renault, but internal politicking and the promise of a two-year Haas contract motivated him to switch.

Steiner said: "I spoke with people at Renault, the engineers and technical staff, and they are really happy to work with him."

He is also quoted by the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet: "Many people in the industry regard Kevin very highly. Other drivers, other team bosses, other team owners. He is highly respected.

"It is people with experience who said to us: Look at Magnussen," Steiner added.

Steiner said he thinks Magnussen will enjoy Haas' no-politics, no-nonsense approach to racing.

"From the time he said 'Yes I want to change' it took ten days. It was simple," he revealed.

"I think he got a good feeling for us. We are a small and simple race team. We race with no politics. Gene Haas owns the team, I control the operations and there is no need for politics.

"My impression is that Kevin likes that approach, because he loves to race and we are racers."

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 25, 2016

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - CLOSE ENOUGH

FRIDAY PHOTOS

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

BUTTON SAYS ABU DHABI - MY LAST RACE

HAMILTON HANDSHAKE SNUB NOT DELIBERATE SAYS ROSBERG

RENAULT RECOMMENDED MAGNUSSEN TO HAAS

DENNIS EXIT HEALTHY FOR MCLAREN SAYS MAGNUSSEN

NASR LOSES BANCO DO BRASIL BACKING

WEHRLEIN HINTS AT 2017 DEAL

SAINZ UNFAZED BY LOW MEDIA PROFILE

PEREZ NOT OPEN TO SPONSOR RECONCILIATION

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - THE BEGINNING OF THE END

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS

2017 TO BE TRANSITION YEAR FOR TYRES SAYS HEMBERY

HOCKENHEIM CONFIRMS NO GRAND PRIX IN 2017