No huge step for Red Bull in 2016 says Newey
Honda F1 website
Honda website

FEBRUARY 22, 2016

No huge step for Red Bull in 2016 says Newey

Adrian Newey on Monday admitted he does not expect Red Bull to take a "huge step forward" in 2016.

After the engine supply crisis of late last year, the team has returned to F1 for the new year with rebranded Renault power.

But designer Newey is optimistic.

"I think our engine supplier had a good winter," he is quoted by Speed Week.

"The gap to the top is still significant, but (at Renault) there are new people, more budget, a different approach, and all that should help us to close the gap slowly but surely."

That aside, Newey admitted that 2016 is unlikely to be the breakthrough return to title contention for Red Bull.

"We are in the third year of these regulations, which I think are quite restrictive," he said. "So I do not expect a huge step forward.

"But we have learned some lessons from 2015 and made certain changes to the car that caused problems with the handling. We developed the car well last year and want to keep it going in 2016," Newey added.

(GMM)

Other stories for FEBRUARY 22, 2016

2016 FIELD AN EVOLUTION OF LAST YEAR

NO EARLY-SEASON CRISIS FOR FORCE INDIA IN 2016

HULKENBERG NO FAN OF CLOSING F1 COCKPIT

DEBUT SHOCK AS HAAS FRONT WING FAILS

NO HUGE STEP FOR RED BULL IN 2016 SAYS NEWEY

F1 SET FOR ANOTHER KEY MEETING OVER FUTURE

DENNIS NOT PREDICTING MCLAREN-HONDA WINS YET

F1 THE WORST IT HAS EVER BEEN SAYS ECCLESTONE

CORRESPONDENT DISAPPOINTED WITH 2016 WILLIAMS

WEHRLEIN IS LEAD DRIVER AT MANOR SAYS RYAN

HARTSTEIN ATTACKS ECCLESTONE AFTER INTERVIEW

ECCLESTONE SON-IN-LAW FACES JAIL

FATHER LAUNCHES JULES BIANCHI KART

BALDISSERRI DOES NOT ASK MICK ABOUT SCHUMACHER HEALTH