Hulkenberg no fan of closing F1 cockpit
Honda F1 website
Honda website

FEBRUARY 22, 2016

Hulkenberg no fan of closing F1 cockpit

Nico Hulkenberg has admitted he is not among those who support the closing of the cockpits in formula one.

It is believed F1 is close to adopting the so-called 'halo' concept for 2017, to reduce the risk of head injuries.

GPDA chief Alex Wurz had said the initiative has the full support of the drivers, but Hulkenberg said: "For me it's a personal thing, but I just think formula one cars should remain open."

Asked if he simply doesn't like the look of the 'halo', he added: "No, nothing like that. I just think that in general, open-wheel cockpits should be open."

Hulkenberg's view is interesting given that, in 2015, he won Le Mans with the closed-cockpit Porsche, but he explained: "That's something else. Prototypes have always looked like that.

"Single seaters were always open and they should stay open," the German added.

(GMM)

Other stories for FEBRUARY 22, 2016

2016 FIELD AN EVOLUTION OF LAST YEAR

NO EARLY-SEASON CRISIS FOR FORCE INDIA IN 2016

HULKENBERG NO FAN OF CLOSING F1 COCKPIT

DEBUT SHOCK AS HAAS FRONT WING FAILS

NO HUGE STEP FOR RED BULL IN 2016 SAYS NEWEY

F1 SET FOR ANOTHER KEY MEETING OVER FUTURE

DENNIS NOT PREDICTING MCLAREN-HONDA WINS YET

F1 THE WORST IT HAS EVER BEEN SAYS ECCLESTONE

CORRESPONDENT DISAPPOINTED WITH 2016 WILLIAMS

WEHRLEIN IS LEAD DRIVER AT MANOR SAYS RYAN

HARTSTEIN ATTACKS ECCLESTONE AFTER INTERVIEW

ECCLESTONE SON-IN-LAW FACES JAIL

FATHER LAUNCHES JULES BIANCHI KART

BALDISSERRI DOES NOT ASK MICK ABOUT SCHUMACHER HEALTH