Renault plays down F1 quit rumours

NOVEMBER 11, 2019

Renault plays down F1 quit rumours

Daniel Ricciardo, United States GP 2019
© RV Press

Renault has played down rumours it might quit Formula 1.

Last week, reports suggested that amid on and off-track scandals, poor results and the loss of engine customers Red Bull and McLaren, new Renault CEO Clotilde Delbos might be poised to pull the carmaker out of F1.

But a Renault spokesperson told f1only.fr that the rumours were put out there to "destabilise" the team.

The spokesperson added that "projects" for the development of the car for 2020 are "still underway at Viry Chatillon and Enstone".

Meanwhile, team boss Cyril Abiteboul said Renault is more than happy with its top driver Daniel Ricciardo, who was wooed from Red Bull for 2019 and 2020.

"We can feel the great responsibility he has taken on," he told France's Auto Hebdo.

"He is doing more and more not only with the car, but also for the team."

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 11, 2019

FRANK WILLIAMS STILL SUPPORTING DAUGHTER AS TEAM BOSS

2020 F1 DEBUT NOT REALISTIC SAYS MICK SCHUMACHER

2021 RULES A STARTING POINT SAYS BRAWN

FEMALE CHAMPION RULES OUT 2020 WILLIAMS SEAT

BRAWN ADMITS F1 ENGINE FREEZE POSSIBLE

TEAM OWNER HAS DOUBTS ABOUT HAAS FUTURE

RENAULT PLAYS DOWN F1 QUIT RUMOURS

CAREY ADMITS FATIGUE DUE TO LONGER CALENDARS

MAYOR REJECTS MOVES TO BLOCK MIAMI RACE

FORMER MANAGER THINKS SCHUMACHER WILL RECOVER