MAY 28, 2016
F1 decides on halo for 2017
F1 cars will reportedly be fitted with a further development of the 'halo' cockpit protection system in 2017.
Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said the decision was taken by the FIA as well as team technical directors during a five-hour meeting at Monaco's Novotel hotel on Friday.
The decision to definitely push ahead with a controversial covering for the premier open-cockpit formula followed a scary incident in Thursday practice, when a flying metal drain cover was hit by Jenson Button's car.
"We must make sure that the risk for all of us (drivers) is reduced to the minimum possible," fellow F1 veteran Fernando Alonso told RTL broadcaster.
The 2017 'halo' will in fact be a development of the black carbon version seen on the Ferrari earlier this year, in stylised titanium and possible to open via a hinge.
But it is believed the Red Bull-devised 'aeroscreen' - favoured by many in the pitlane - is still in the running to replace the halo for 2018 and beyond.