NOVEMBER 26, 2016
Brazil race last question mark for 2017 says Ecclestone
The final "question mark" on what has become a 20-race calendar for 2017 is Brazil.
question mark on what has become a 20-race calendar for 2017 is Brazil.
That is the news from Bernie Ecclestone, whose earlier 21-date schedule has been reduced by one after he failed to reach a deal with Hockenheim.
"I'm not frustrated, just surprised," the F1 supremo said in Abu Dhabi, according to Globo.
"What else does Germany need to be interested in F1? They have drivers and a winning team. The only question mark now is Brazil, but we are solving it.
"I hope it will be resolved soon," Ecclestone added, referring to the historic Interlagos race.
Earlier, there had been doubts about Hockenheim and also Canada, but a solid deal with Montreal is now in place.
Ecclestone also played down any fears about Monza's fabled Italian grand prix, despite the fact that an actual contract is yet to be signed.
But the 86-year-old said he has enjoyed "many handshakes" with Italian officials about 2017 and beyond.
"After all, they are Italian," Ecclestone smiled.
"It could not be signed this week because they wanted to change some things in the contract, which we accept," he revealed.
For the future, however, there are doubts about Malaysia, who say they will stop hosting F1 after 2018.
But Ecclestone says: "They are good people. I never had problems with them."
And he also played down fears F1 could lose its spectacular night race in Singapore.
"They (Singapore organisers) said to me 'We've paid well in the last ten years, so we want it to be cheaper'," said Ecclestone. "I do not want to lose Singapore."