Formula One News — February 2003
FEBRUARY 10, 2003
Mosley pushes on
The FIA has written to each of the Formula 1 teams pointing out that the changes resulting from the January 15 meeting are of a long-term nature and that they should be considered as a package.
Rampf talks about the C22
Sauber technical director Willy Rampf has been talking about his new C22.
Sauber looks to the East
Peter Sauber announced on Sunday that his team has signed a long-term agreement for sponsorship from the Russian mobile telephone operator Mobile Tele Systems.
FEBRUARY 9, 2003
Albert Park in need of a drink
Less than a month out from the start of the Formula One season in Melbourne, Australia remains in the grip of a severe drought and Albert Park is parched.
MTS Systems to sponsor Sauber
The Russian MTS Systems company is to join Sauber's impressive sponsorship portfolio in 2003.
Sauber unveils the C22
Sauber Petronas unveiled its new Formula 1 challenger in Zurich on Sunday.
Massa to do Sauber tests
Peter Sauber told the media at the launch of his new F1 challenger that Felipe Massa may be made available to Sauber this year when he is not doing tests for Ferrari.
FEBRUARY 7, 2003
Montezemolo always looking ahead
Ferrari President says that the team will be going into the new Formula 1 season as though "we were a team that has never won anything, a team hungry for wins."
Ferrari honours Agnelli
Ferrari has honored the memory of Gianni Agnelli by naming its new car the F2003-GA which was revealed today in Italy.
DaimlerChrysler becomes more German
DaimlerChrysler, the company which owns Mercedes-Benz, has revamped its management board leaving just one American executive on the board. The 14-man board is now dominated by the Germans, an indication that the supposed merger between Daimler-Benz and Chrysler was, as critics said at the time, a takeover.
McLaren and Williams considering anti-FIA legal action
There have been whispers since the January 15 meeting that McLaren and Williams may be considering taking their gripes about the FIA's interpretations of the regulations to the court of arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce.
Ferrari to launch today
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro will be launching its new Formula 1 challenger today at Maranello with hundreds of journalists expected to attend the event.
More from Bahrain
The Bahrain National Assembly will on Monday reconsider its opposition to the funding of a Formula 1 circuit in the country.
FEBRUARY 6, 2003
Manfred von Brauchitsch
Manfred von Brauchitsch, the last of the Titan drivers from the 1930s, has died at the age of 97.
Massa at Ferrari
As we have been suggesting for the last few days, Ferrari has now confirmed that Felipe Massa has been signed up as the Italian team's second test driver
Bahrain will go ahead
Despite the rejection of funding for a Grand Prix circuit by the Bahrain parliament earlier this week, the race will go ahead.
Burti leaves Ferrari
Luciano Burti is to leave his role as a Ferrari test driver and will be replaced by Felipe Massa.
F1 teams lose interest in small guys?
It is becoming increasingly clear that the apparent agreement decided a month ago to help the small teams survive this year is unlikely to happen - at least in the form it was discussed.
FEBRUARY 5, 2003
Jordan confirms Benson & Hedges as title sponsor
Jordan confirmed Wednesday that Gallaher PLC cigarette brand Benson and Hedges will remain with the team as its title sponsor in 2003.
Ferrari again quickest in Barcelona
The teams returned to Barcelona for the fifth day of testing at the Circuit de Catalunya this week, and it was the Ferrari men setting the pace again.
Problems in Bahrain
Bahraini politcians have voted against spending $200m on the construction of a racing circuit in the country - despite the fact that work has already begun.
Rehm drives Toyota at Daytona
Grandprix.com's 2000 Young Driver of the Year award winner Josh Rehm produced a noteworthy performance at the 24 Hours of Daytona this past weekend.
FEBRUARY 4, 2003
Ferrari fastest in Barcelona testing
Testing in Barcelona continued Tuesday, and Ferrari drivers Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello continued to set the pace while testing with tire supplier Bridgestone.
Salo heading for Le Mans
Mika Salo is to have a go at winning the Le Mans 24 Hours with a team entered by Audi Sport UK.