Wehrlein more optimistic about F1 future
Honda F1 website
Honda website

SEPTEMBER 29, 2017

Wehrlein more optimistic about F1 future

Pascal Wehrlein, Malaysian GP 2017
© RV Press

Pascal Wehrlein thinks his chances of staying in F1 next year are now "quite good".

Earlier, the Mercedes-backed German seemed resigned to losing his place at Sauber, as the Swiss team ramps up its relationship with Ferrari.

But now, the big rumour is that Marcus Ericsson could be the driver set to lose his place to Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc.

Wehrlein said in Malaysia: "There is still nothing new.

"But I think there will be a decision in the next few weeks. This year we will not have to wait as long as last year."

When asked if he is now more positive than a few weeks ago about his prospects for 2018, he answered: "I think the chances are quite good.

"But during the season I try to only think about the coming races.

"Of course I will always be informed when there are new developments. Toto (Wolff) tells me of any important phone calls and of course I always talk with Fred (Vasseur).

"I'm assuming I'll be in formula one next year," Wehrlein added.

(GMM)

Other stories for SEPTEMBER 29, 2017

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - CRASHER FASTER

FRIDAY PHOTOS

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

SAINZ TO FINISH SEASON WITH TORO ROSSO

BOTTAS TO MAKE OWN TEAM ORDER DECISIONS SAYS HAMILTON

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

DRIVING STYLE DOESN'T MATCH MERCEDES CAR SAYS BOTTAS

ALONSO EYES NEW MCLAREN DEAL BEFORE AUSTIN

TOO EARLY TO PREDICT ASTON MARTIN-POWERED FUTURE SAYS RICCIARDO

CULTURE EXPLAINS F1'S SEPANG DEMISE SAYS RICCIARDO

VANDOORNE HAPPY AS HONDA SLOWS 2017 DEVELOPMENT

STROLL UNSURE OF 2018 WILLIAMS TEAMMATE

WEHRLEIN MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT F1 FUTURE

KVYAT WILL MAYBE RETURN IN 2017 SAYS GASLY

HAMILTON EYES MERCEDES CONTRACT TALKS

PALMER EYEING LONG TERM INDYCAR SWITCH FOR 2018

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS