UK launches probe into Liberty takeover
Honda F1 website
Honda website

NOVEMBER 8, 2016

UK launches probe into Liberty takeover

The UK government has launched an investigation into the takeover of F1 by American tycoon John Malone's Liberty Media.

Bernie Ecclestone said last week that the takeover is in fact not yet complete.

And it may not be for some time yet, with the British government department the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) announcing an "inquiry" into the Liberty deal.

The CMA is responsible for strengthening business competition and preventing anti-competitive activities.

A preliminary decision is expected in early 2017.

Meanwhile, two potential candidates to get involved in F1's post-CVC future have played down claims they may accept roles.

Gerhard Berger welcomed Liberty's involvement but told Austrian Servus TV: "No, I'm not in the group, I don't have the time."

And Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz told Spain's Marca sports newspaper: "That would be a big challenge, but I have a job that takes up all of my time as well as many other obligations and interests."

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 8, 2016

UK LAUNCHES PROBE INTO LIBERTY TAKEOVER

ALONSO NICER IN FRONT THAN BEHIND SAYS MASSA

SILVERSTONE BUYOUT BIDDERS PULL OUT

ROSBERG KEEPING EYES OFF THE PRIZE IN BRAZIL

OCON SIGNS WITH FORCE INDIA?

FERRARI STAYS ON ROAD TO RECOVERY SAYS MARCHIONNE

MATESCHITZ DENIES F1 QUIT THREATS WERE SERIOUS