Tost opposed to F1 penalty points system
Honda F1 website
Honda website

FEBRUARY 24, 2016

Tost opposed to F1 penalty points system

Franz Tost has hit out at F1's system for penalising drivers.

Max Verstappen, the teen sensation who thrilled fans with his audacious overtaking moves last year, enters 2016 with a cloud over his head, having racked up several 'penalty points' against his F1 super licence.

"I am opposed to the current system," Toro Rosso boss Tost told De Telegraaf newspaper, when asked about the possibility Verstappen may be banned.

"Last year Max did great overtaking manoeuvres, which is what the people want to see. But each overtake carries a certain risk," he added.

Tost warns that, as ever in F1, the second year can often be the most difficult for a rookie.

"An overtaking move such as his in Blanchimont might prove difficult now," he said. "The competition is more ready for Max."

Still, Tost said Verstappen is on course for a very bright future.

"In terms of racing we have nothing to teach Max. As a team, we must ensure that we help him to have the best possible car. The rest will follow," he added.

(GMM)

Other stories for FEBRUARY 24, 2016

QUALIFYING TWEAK FOR F1

VERSTAPPEN CAN FEEL EXTRA FERRARI POWER

F1 GETS FIRST LOOK AT FASTER ULTRA SOFT TYRE

ALONSO SAYS MERCEDES STRONGER THAN EVER

TOST OPPOSED TO F1 PENALTY POINTS SYSTEM

HAAS NOT DESPERATE TO SIGN F1 SPONSORS

ALONSO SURPRISED BY HONDA CHIEF EXIT

WILLIAMS DIFFERENT TO 2015 CAR SAYS MASSA

PALMER HOPES RENAULT CAN FIGHT WITH HAAS

F1 TO RAMP UP KNOCKOUT QUALIFYING FOR 2016

WEHRLEIN EYES MANOR UPSET IN MELBOURNE