AUGUST 30, 2012
Schumacher: October is decision time
Seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, who celebrates his 300th grand prix this weekend at Spa, 21 years after making his F1 debut at the Belgian track, says he will not be making any decision on his F1 future until October.
Schumacher, 43, said: "I think we made a very clear statement some time ago that by October we would be able to give some indications."
On returning with Mercedes in 2010, Schumacher hoped to win the three pointed star's first GP since its full works return and help the marque challenge for the championship. Nico Rosberg has since achieved the former while the team has not mounted the title challenge that was hoped for after Rosberg's Chinese GP victory.
Schumacher, however, says that has not blunted his enthusiasm.
"I was aware earlier that we would not fight for the championship and so it is not a big deal that we are not in it."
At the top of the road down to the Spa Francorchamps circuit this weekend is a banner reading, "Michael, make it 400!" That would require another five seasons and Schumacher conceded that while he might not be ready to call time just yet, he's unlikely to see out another 100 races!