Rosberg rejects F1 comeback talk
Honda F1 website
Honda website

DECEMBER 8, 2016

Rosberg rejects F1 comeback talk

Nico Rosberg has hit back at claims he might return to formula one after a few years of retirement.

Citing the stress of his battle with Lewis Hamilton, and the desire to spend more time with his young family, the German stunned the F1 world a week ago by announcing his shock decision to quit Mercedes and the sport.

But F1 legend and family friend Gerhard Berger, who earlier this year negotiated Rosberg's new 2017 and 2018 Mercedes contract, said he can imagine the 31-year-old getting "bored" and returning.

Another former F1 driver, Stefan Johansson, said he can also imagine a Michael Schumacher or Kimi Raikkonen-like return for Rosberg.

"No," Rosberg insisted. "It's definitely over.

"My decision is irrevocable. It's a closed chapter for me."

Asked if he will miss formula one, where he has raced full-time for the past 11 years, Rosberg admitted: "Miss, yes. But comeback, no.

"Perhaps I will have some other role in formula one, because for me it's the best sport in the world. But now I am a father and husband," he told Sport Bild. "I have seen far too little of my family this year.

"We are going to do a long vacation and then in a few months I'll think about some new projects."

(GMM)

Other stories for DECEMBER 8, 2016

MERCEDES COSTA BACKS WEHRLEIN TO REPLACE ROSBERG

ROSBERG DEFENDS DECISION AFTER LAUDA CRITICISM

ROSBERG BACKS WEHRLEIN FOR 2017 SEAT

ROSBERG REJECTS F1 COMEBACK TALK

FRENCH GP REVIVAL SURPRISED ECCLESTONE

FERRARI DOMINANCE BETTER FOR F1 SAYS KALTENBORN

GROWING FINANCIAL LOSS AT AUSTRIAN GP?