MAY 12, 2016
Renault will improve car for 2017
Renault should be back on track with a much more competitive car next year, according to former driver Vitaly Petrov.
The Russian, who made his F1 debut in a yellow car built by Enstone in 2010, said the current state of the team is understandable in light of the past 12 months.
As seen in customer Red Bull's recent pace, Renault has made big progress with its power unit over the winter, but the works team is having to race what is effectively last year's Lotus chassis.
"There were a lot of things going on in the team," Petrov, referring to Lotus' financial troubles last year and subsequent sale to Renault, told Russia's Sport-Express.
"They were experiencing financial difficulties and could not develop, which shows just how important it is in formula one to be constantly investing in the car," he added.
"Next year, I think they will make the car better and improve the situation. Yes, I think Renault will be back next year, or in a maximum of one year," said Petrov.