JUNE 7, 2010
Red Bull extends Mark Webber's contract for 2011
Red Bull announced today that they have extended his contract for the 2011 season.With Sebastian Vettel already contracted to the team the driver lineup will remain unchanged next season.
The announcement indicates that the recent incident in Istanbul between the two Red Bull drivers did not change the basic deal which had been agreed to beforehand. The team is now trying to negotiate with Sebastian Vettel to extend his contract through the 2015 season - his current deal running until the end of 2012.
Mark Webber said, "It was an easy decision to remain with Red Bull Racing. We began talking very early this year and were in a position to sign by the Barcelona Grand Prix. The decision to extend for a further year was a mutual one; it's widely know that I'm not interested in hanging around in Formula One just for the sake of it and at this stage of my career, I'm happy to take one year at a time. I continue to feel very comfortable here - I have a fantastic relationship with the whole team and the factory at Milton Keynes feels like home. It's been incredible to be part of the team as it's moved forward from a mid-field competitor to one that is challenging for the Championship. I hope we experience more success together in the future and achieve our ultimate goal of winning the World Championship."
Team Principal Christian Horner said, "The decision to retain Mark was very straightforward. He is an important member of our team and is currently in the best form of his career, as the current leader of the Drivers' Championship. The team is extremely happy that the driver pairing of Mark and Sebastian will remain unchanged for a third season in 2011."