FEBRUARY 10, 2014
Planning all in place for Austria GP according to Mateschitz
Austria's return to the F1 calendar this year is on track, Red Bull supremo Dietrich Mateschitz says.
"We are striving for a perfect race weekend with sold out grandstands," said the Austrian billionaire, who has rebuilt the former A1-Ring circuit.
There had been some minor doubts about the race's return, as the Red Bull-Ring was initially limited to a small maximum crowd, while circuit upgrades were still in the planning.
"The construction is on schedule, even if it is tight, and the permits are all in place," Mateschitz told the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper.
With world champions Red Bull arguably the biggest spenders in pitlane, Mateschitz also commented on the hardening plans for team budget caps for 2015.
"At the moment the question of what is excluded and what else the manufacturers can redeploy in other budgets is still open," he said.
"On one hand, billions were spent on the development of the new engines, which is not questioned," added Mateschitz.
Finally, he was asked about Ferrari's explosive 'fire and ice' new driver pairing of Fernando Alonso alongside fellow champion Kimi Raikkonen.
"Even if there are frictions," Mateschitz insisted, "it has to work.
"With us, the media spoke about the crisis between Vettel and Webber for the longest time, but it still worked.
"It doesn't matter if Alonso and Raikkonen are blood brothers or not."