Nurburgring's F1 future after 2013 in doubt
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JULY 4, 2013

Nurburgring's F1 future after 2013 in doubt

The future of the Nurburgring's formula one race beyond this weekend's German grand prix is clouded.

We reported last week that the event is only on this year's calendar because Bernie Ecclestone waived his usual sanctioning fee -- believed to be EUR 14 million.

Track boss Karl-Josef Schmidt admitted on Wednesday to the German news agency DPA that the arrangements with Ecclestone for the 2013 race are "unique".

But he said the reports of a EUR 14 million 'gift' from Ecclestone are nonsense.

The F1 chief executive took responsibility for "part" of the fee, "not the whole thing", Schmidt clarified.

For the race organisers, he added, 2013 is more about keeping the race at the Nurburgring - which is for sale - rather than making a profit.

But beyond 2013, the Nurburgring's future in F1 "remains open", the DPA report concluded.

(GMM)

Other stories for JULY 4, 2013

THURSDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

ROSBERG AND HAMILTON DRIVE HISTORIC SILVER ARROWS

HAUG NOT RULING OUT F1 RETURN

F1 UNEASE REMAINS AFTER SILVERSTONE TYRE CHAOS

VETTEL IGNORES MIND GAMES AND JULY CURSE

ALONSO SAYS NO DRIVER BOYCOTT IN GERMANY

RACE WIN WILL MOTIVATE HAMILTON

DI RESTA WOULD JUMP AT MASSA'S SEAT

MERCEDES WANTS TO TEST ON FOURTH DAY AT SILVERSTONE

NURBURGRING'S F1 FUTURE AFTER 2013 IN DOUBT