No 2017 engine for Sauber this year
Honda F1 website
Honda website

APRIL 8, 2017

No 2017 engine for Sauber this year

Marcus Ericsson, Chinese GP 2017
© RV Press

Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn has played down rumours the Swiss team could switch to Ferrari's 2017-spec engine mid-season.

Amid a struggle to merely survive financially last year, the team inked a deal to use Ferrari's 'old' 2016-spec power unit in 2017.

Sauber has subsequently been bailed out, but Kaltenborn played down the chance the team could now switch to Ferrari's impressive latest engine.

"No, we're not planning that," she said in Shanghai.

"But it's also too early to say how much we are losing, because Australia is not the most representative track.

"We will have to wait a few races and then we will see how far the gap is."

Kaltenborn said Sauber will have a "major update" for the chassis in Barcelona.

(GMM)

Other stories for APRIL 8, 2017

SATURDAY PHOTOS

SATURDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

SATURDAY TEAM QUOTES

MARKO CONFIRMS MEETING WITH VERSTAPPEN GRANDFATHER

NO ALONSO CONTRACT TALKS UNTIL SUMMER SAYS BROWN

ECCLESTONE COULD ATTEND NEXT TWO RACES

CHINA GP ALMOST RESCHEDULED SAYS STEWARD

WEHRLEIN HOPES FOR BAHRAIN RETURN

QUALIFYING REPORT - IN A WHILE

QUALIFYING RESULTS

SHANGHAI CLOUDS THREATEN CHINA GP

NO 2017 ENGINE FOR SAUBER THIS YEAR

FIA WORKING ON HALO ALTERNATIVE SHIELD

MCLAREN NOT SETTING HONDA DEADLINE

F1 BOSS SAYS 21 RACES IN 2018

WEHRLEIN FRACTURED BONE IN WINTER CRASH SAYS WOLFF

PRACTICE 3 REPORT - CLEARING THE AIR

PRACTICE 3 RESULTS