Next Red Bull youngsters not ready for F1 says Horner
Honda F1 website
Honda website

OCTOBER 23, 2016

Next Red Bull youngsters not ready for F1 says Horner

The 2017 grid is continuing to take shape, as the driver 'silly season' edges more crucial steps forward at the scene of the US grand prix.

The latest piece of the puzzle to definitely slot into place for next year is Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso, after a long period of uncertainty over the young Russian's future.

But Toro Rosso is keeping him as well as Carlos Sainz, as the team issues a clear message to potential suitors including Renault and Force India with the press release header 'Hands off, they're ours!"

Asked if the 'hands off' was also a rejection of the Force India rumours, Kvyat said in Austin: "It's better to ask the people who wrote the press release."

What Kvyat would admit is that the contract certainty is a weight off his mind, after being axed from the senior Red Bull team earlier this year.

"In formula one, you can never be sure of anything," he said.

"Many factors play a role, but I knew that if I did a good job then Red Bull would keep me and that's what I did after the summer break."

However, Kvyat's new deal is a blow to Red Bull junior Pierre Gasly, but Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner argued that the Russian deserves to stay.

"We believe in him," he is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

"On the outside, he looks like a tough Russian but he's a sensitive guy, which his return to Toro Rosso showed. But the last races have shown that he is well on the way back to being the old Kvyat."

As for the next generation of Red Bull youngsters, Horner indicated that the energy drink camp is now looking further ahead.

"We are looking at the 13 and 14 year olds," he said, "because otherwise there's not much there."

(GMM)

Other stories for OCTOBER 23, 2016

RACE NOTES - HAMILTON TAKES 50 IN TEXAS

SUNDAY PHOTOS

SUNDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

SUNDAY TEAM QUOTES

RACE RESULTS

NEXT RED BULL YOUNGSTERS NOT READY FOR F1 SAYS HORNER

NEXT PIECE OF 2017 DRIVER PUZZLE WILL BE BOTTAS

ANDRETTI STILL PREFERS F1 OVER FORMULA E

LAUDA HITS OUT AT ECCLESTONE'S ROSBERG COMMENTS

BOSSES WORRY ABOUT LATEST F1 RACING RULE

RED BULL'S MARKO REJECTS WILD VETTEL RUMOUR