Motor racing needs more minimum age rules says Wolff
Honda F1 website
Honda website

MAY 23, 2016

Motor racing needs more minimum age rules says Wolff

Toto Wolff thinks the world of premier motor racing might need to revisit the issue of driver age, following an enormous crash at the weekend.

Li Zhi (Peter) Cong is currently in hospital with broken vertebrae, but he was otherwise lucky to survive an incredible rear-end smash into a rival who spun during the top European F3 series race at the Red Bull Ring.

The rival hit by Cong, American Ryan Tveter, collapsed after escaping from his wreckage but is basically unhurt.

Kleine Zeitung, an Austrian newspaper, called it "probably the most spectacular accident of the decade".

While neither Cong nor Tveter are teenagers, Formula 3 in the past year or so has been the scene of many spectacular and scary incidents.

"The pressure on these young lads is too high," Toto Wolff, Mercedes' F1 team boss, said.

"It cannot be a good thing when 16-year-olds are racing in Formula 3. I think a minimum age should be introduced -- 18 years for F3 and twenty for formula one."

Following Max Verstappen's arrival in F1 last year as a 17-year-old, the governing FIA installed a minimum age of 18 for the pinnacle of motor racing.

(GMM)

Other stories for MAY 23, 2016

HONDA TO USE ALL TOKENS BY SPA?

LE MANS RULES OUT FRENCH GP REVIVAL

LAUDA PLAYS DOWN ROSBERG-FERRARI RUMOURS

MONTEZEMOLO EXPECTED BIGGER FERRARI STEP

MOTOR RACING NEEDS MORE MINIMUM AGE RULES SAYS WOLFF

VERSTAPPEN SAYS HE MUST STAY GROUNDED

NEWSPAPER SAYS HAMILTON COULD MISS MONACO