Monza takes another step towards new F1 deal
Honda F1 website
Honda website

APRIL 28, 2016

Monza takes another step towards new F1 deal

Monza may have taken another decisive step towards a new F1 contract, according to multiple media reports in Italy.

Autosprint reveals that Andrea Dell'Orto, the president of the fabled Italian circuit's operator Sias, has stepped down.

The report said Dell'Orto had been at odds with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, amid Monza's troubled negotiations to renew its race deal beyond 2016.

Dell'Orto's replacement is Pier (Peter) Lorenzo Zanchi, a former rally driver.

"Now that the political problems have come to a head, the talks with Ecclestone can reopen and be concluded," predicted correspondent Alberto Sabbatini.

Sky Italia agreed that Dell'Orto's demise, and the appointment of an all-new board of directors, is an "important turning point" for Monza.

And La Gazzetta dello Sport also reported: "This should be one more step in securing the signature of the F1 boss and the continuation of the grand prix at Monza."

Dell'Orto is quoted as saying: "For the renewal of the contract with FOM, I have done everything necessary to achieve this goal.

"I hope this (his departure) does not create discontinuity in the current negotiations, in particular as regards the contribution of the (Lombardy) region to keep the grand prix at Monza."

(GMM)

Other stories for APRIL 28, 2016

THURSDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

HULKENBERG PREFERS RED BULL AEROSCREEN

NASR TO GET NEW CHASSIS IN RUSSIA

PALMER PLAYS DOWN RENAULT PRESSURE

GROSJEAN NOT WORRIED ABOUT PIRELLI TEST ADVANTAGE

PUNDIT PREDICTS HAMILTON WILL COME BACK

DRIVERS TO WORK HARDER WITH 2017 CARS

MASSA WANTS WINDBAGS TO STAY UNITED

KVYAT CALLS TORO ROSSO RUMOURS STRANGE

RENAULT EYES OCON TO REPLACE PALMER?

NO NEED FOR MELDONIUM IN F1 SAYS KVYAT

SOCHI TWEAKS TRACK AFTER SAINZ CRASH

MONZA TAKES ANOTHER STEP TOWARDS NEW F1 DEAL

REPORT REVEALS MARCHIONNE'S INCREDIBLE INCOME