DECEMBER 24, 2014
Montezemolo disappointed by Marchionne's comments
Luca di Montezemolo has reacted with disappointment to suggestions his reign was responsible for Ferrari's decline.
New chiefs Sergio Marchionne and Maurizio Arrivabene addressed the media earlier this week and admitted that Maranello's 2015 project will not be a title winner.
"We are now coming from behind because of choices made by other people," said Marchionne, who ousted long-time president Montezemolo earlier this year.
Marchionne also admitted that he was opposed in principle to Montezemolo's candidature as the new chairman of the Formula One Group.
Montezemolo reacted by telling the Italian news agency Ansa that, regarding Marchionne's comments, "I promised myself not to make polemics for the deep love that I have for Ferrari".
"For the respect it deserves to those who work there today and who have worked on projects that won on the race track," the 67-year-old Italian added.
"In recent weeks I have witnessed repeated utterances that in some cases do not correspond to reality," Montezemolo added.
"I do not intend to respond to these provocations," he said.
"The sporting success, greater than that achieved by any other team, the strength and prestige of the brand in the world and the financial results critical to the FCA (Fiat Chrysler) group that this year will be the best in the history of the company, all speak for themselves."