Mercedes not dumping F1 for Formula E says Lauda
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JULY 30, 2017

Mercedes not dumping F1 for Formula E says Lauda

Niki Lauda says there is no risk Mercedes will dump F1 in favour of the increasingly-popular all-electric series Formula E.

Mercedes and Porsche made waves earlier this week by pulling out of DTM and Le Mans respectively in order to enter Formula E.

But Lauda, the Mercedes F1 team chairman, says there is no risk the decision is a precursor to Mercedes dumping its F1 programme.

"Formula one is our racing sport so an exit is not an issue at all," he told the German broadcaster RTL.

Rather, Lauda said entering Formula E is simply about the future. "We had to ask 'Where is the future going?'

"At the same time we have to try to make Formula E more attractive, because at the moment you even have to change the batteries."

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff agrees: "Formula E is still at the beginning of its development, but electrification is in full swing.

"I would not be surprised if in three, four, five years Formula E is completely different and we are talking about every single race."

(GMM)

Other stories for JULY 30, 2017

RACE NOTES - VETTEL WINS HUNGARY

SUNDAY PHOTOS

SUNDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

SUNDAY TEAM QUOTES

RACE RESULTS

FERRARI SIMPLY BETTER ON SLOW CIRCUITS SAYS WOLFF

ALONSO EYES MCLAREN ENGINE GIFT FOR 2018

SAINZ NOT COMMENTING ON TORO ROSSO-HONDA RUMOUR

FERRARI TO ANNOUNCE VETTEL-RAIKKONEN AT MONZA

MERCEDES EYES DI RESTA AS F1 RESERVE

RED BULL EYES INDEPENDENT ENGINE SUPPLIER FOR FUTURE

F1 DEFENDS EDITING NEGATIVE HALO COMMENTS

LECLERC EYES SAUBER MOVE FOR 2018

MERCEDES NOT DUMPING F1 FOR FORMULA E SAYS LAUDA