McLaren, Button play down 2016 split rumours
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JUNE 5, 2015

McLaren, Button play down 2016 split rumours

McLaren has played down reports it is already looking to replace Jenson Button for 2016.

Britain's Sun newspaper predicted the Honda-powered team could "boot" the 2009 world champion despite him having a two-year contract in his pocket.

The Sky broadcaster quoted a McLaren insider as dismissing the speculation as "tittle-tattle".

And just last week, McLaren supremo Ron Dennis had suggested there was no room at Woking for 2016, even though reserve Kevin Magnussen is champing at the bit.

"I have two world champions who are among the very best," he was quoted by the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

"Perhaps that means I have to help him (Magnussen) into another team for another learning year," said Dennis.

And when asked about rumours Magnussen could be drafted back into the McLaren lineup for 2016 at his expense, Button answered: "What happens, happens.

"At the end of last year my future was in limbo for months, but now here I am sitting with you," the 35-year-old was quoted in Canada by Speed Week.

(GMM)

Other stories for JUNE 5, 2015

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - RUINED

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - NOT THINKING

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS

ECCLESTONE SHOULD LOWER F1 TICKET PRICES ACCORDING TO VETTEL

HAMILTON UNMOVED TWO WEEKS AFTER MONACO

NO MEDICAL CHECK NECESSARY FOR VERSTAPPEN

PIRELLI NOT SURE MICHELIN WANTS F1 CONTRACT

AGGRESSIVE FERRARI TO RACE NEW ENGINE SAYS VETTEL

TEAMS SHOULD NOT DECIDE F1 RULES

LE MANS SWITCH NOT TEMPTING HULKENBERG YET

MCLAREN, BUTTON PLAY DOWN 2016 SPLIT RUMOURS

NO DRIVER PROBLEM AT RED BULL SAYS HORNER

RAIKKONEN DOESN'T NEED ARRIVABENE'S HOMEWORK

NO RAW POWER BOOST IN CANADA FOR HONDA

NASR KNEW SAUBER DEVELOPMENT WOULD BE LIMITED

VETTEL HAPPY GRID GIRLS RETURNING IN MONTREAL

F1 SET TO ABANDON RETURN OF REFUELLING