McLaren admits Alonso return talks ongoing
Honda F1 website
Honda website

APRIL 2, 2016

McLaren admits Alonso return talks ongoing

Fernando Alonso, Bahrain GP 2016
© Active Pictures

McLaren has confirmed talks with the FIA about getting injured Fernando Alonso back into his McLaren-Honda are "ongoing" in Bahrain.

We reported earlier that, after Stoffel Vandoorne filled in for the Spaniard in Friday practice, McLaren supremo Ron Dennis met with FIA doctor Jean-Charles Piette in a bid to get Alonso back to work for Saturday and beyond.

Alonso, 34, has been sidelined following a partially-collapsed lung and with rib fractures, but according to Spanish reports Dennis is unhappy about the process by which the FIA arrived at the decision to sideline the driver.

When asked about Dennis' talks with FIA officials, a McLaren spokesman told us early on Saturday: "Dialogue between McLaren and the FIA is ongoing and to be expected.

"It remains our, the FIA's and indeed Fernando's intention to prioritise his health and wellbeing whilst optimising his chances of returning to the cockpit as soon as possible," he added.

(GMM)

Other stories for APRIL 2, 2016

QUALIFYING REPORT - GRAB JOB

SATURDAY PHOTOS

SATURDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

SATURDAY TEAM QUOTES

ALONSO GATECRASHES LIVE TV TO SLAM CRITIC HERBERT

TODT OPEN TO RETURNING TO 2015 QUALIFYING

QUALIFYING RESULTS

MCLAREN ADMITS ALONSO RETURN TALKS ONGOING

PRACTICE 3 REPORT - RED HOT

PRACTICE 3 RESULTS

KVYAT NOT WORRIED VERSTAPPEN COULD DERAIL F1 CAREER

MERCEDES WORKING TO CATCH FERRARI ON RACE STARTS

RENAULT HITS OUT AT MAGNUSSEN PENALTY

HAMILTON DEFIES PADDOCK SNAPCHAT BAN

ECCLESTONE SET FOR MORE MONZA FUTURE TALKS

AUSTRIA SECURES LOWER FEE FOR F1 TV RIGHTS

MCLAREN ANGRY WITH FIA OVER ALONSO INJURIES?

F1 COMMISSION SEAT FOR DRIVER WOULD BE NICE SAYS BUTTON

ROSBERG SAVED DROWNING CHILD IN MONACO

FORCE INDIA PLAYS DOWN ABSENT BOSS MALLYA'S TROUBLES