Malaysia to axe GP after 2018
Honda F1 website
Honda website

NOVEMBER 22, 2016

Malaysia to axe GP after 2018

Malaysia will host its twentieth and final grand prix at Sepang in 2018.

The country's tourism minister Nazri Abdul Aziz told the state-run Bernama news agency that the decision had been taken for financial reasons.

"We spend 300 million ringgit ($68m) per year but are not getting 300 million back," he said. "There are no returns on the grand prix."

He also admitted that local crowd numbers are down because "I think the people have lost interest", but said that is not a phenomenon that is unique to Malaysia.

"I don't think there is anywhere in the world where the number of spectators for F1 has increased," Nazri said.

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 22, 2016

BROWN DENIES DENNIS MEETING WILL BE AWKWARD

WOLFF STILL NOT EYEING ECCLESTONE JOB

ALONSO, BUTTON HINT AT LE MANS FUTURES

WOLFF EXCITED AND WORRIED ABOUT 2017

MALAYSIA TO AXE GP AFTER 2018

PROST-LIKE ROSBERG DESERVES TITLE SAYS VILLENEUVE

VANDOORNE CAN BE F1'S NEXT VERSTAPPEN SAYS BOUTSEN