Jorda not ruling out 2016 F1 test drive
Honda F1 website
Honda website

MAY 18, 2016

Jorda not ruling out 2016 F1 test drive

Carmen Jorda is not ruling out the possibility she might make her F1 test debut later in 2016.

Although ridiculed at times for her development driver role at Lotus last year, the 27-year-old former GP3 driver was retained in a similar position as the team transitioned to Renault for 2016.

Not only that, Jorda has now made her return to racing in the Renault Sport Trophy, a one-make touring car series that has already held races this year in Aragon and Imola.

"The goal is to finish in the top three, but we'll see what happens after I have understood the car a little more on the limit," Jorda told Italy's Autosprint.

"I'll be closer to the leading pack in the next races, it's definitely my goal."

Another goal for the Spaniard, however, is F1.

"Certainly for me, being on the formula one team as a development driver is a great experience," said Jorda. "My goal of being in an F1 car one day is still alive."

Asked when that first F1 test might happen, she added: "Good question.

"At the moment there is not a fixed date but hopefully it will be this year, who knows."

As for those who write off the attractive blonde driver as a mere marketing ploy, Jorda answered: "I simply need more time and that is why I am racing now in the Renault Sport Trophy.

"Last year I did not have a chance to drive and people were surprised about that. But last season, as I said, Lotus had many difficulties with the budget and there was no space even for the development of the car.

"We were really just lucky to survive and get Renault back with us," she added.

Asked what her long-term future in racing is, Jorda said: "Renault. I see my career and my future with them.

"I don't know what will happen in five or ten years, but right now I'm with them."

(GMM)

Other stories for MAY 18, 2016

HAMILTON CRASH SHOWED NEW ROSBERG

HEINEKEN UPSET OVER SPONSOR DEAL LEAK SAYS ECCLESTONE

ROSBERG DENIES FINGER TROUBLE IN HAMILTON CRASH

HONDA WANTS TO CHALLENGE MERCEDES IN 2017

ECCLESTONE BACKS MELBOURNE'S SECRET F1 FEE

RICCIARDO HAPPY WITH RENAULT ENGINE STEP

GASLY HOPES FOR TORO ROSSO SEAT IN 2017

ARRIVABENE PLAYS DOWN DRIVER CHANGE RUMOURS

VERSTAPPEN A FUTURE CHAMPION SAYS PROST

WEHRLEIN REPLACES OCON IN MERCEDES TEST

PROUD JOS STAYED IN SPAIN AFTER VERSTAPPEN WIN

JORDA NOT RULING OUT 2016 F1 TEST DRIVE