OCTOBER 31, 2016
Haas admits 2017 talks with Magnussen
Gunther Steiner has admitted Haas has been in touch with Kevin Magnussen about 2017.
With Dane Magnussen's future at Renault uncertain, reports emerged in Mexico at the weekend that the American team Haas has made him an offer.
But team boss Steiner denied that.
"I was surprised by the story," he told the Danish newspaper BT. "We have not given Kevin Magnussen a concrete offer."
However, Haas is openly contemplating whether to keep or drop Esteban Gutierrez, who has scored none of Haas' 29 points this year.
Steiner said: "We have not yet taken a decision on our 2017 lineup, and we are talking with a number of drivers. But that's nothing strange -- it's our job."
Ekstra Bladet, another Danish newspaper, also quotes Steiner as saying: "We talk to Kevin, just as we talk to other drivers.
"It is no longer ten (drivers), but two or three. And among them is Esteban."
Steiner also said Haas' talks with Magnussen are in fact nothing new.
"It's no secret that we spoke with him at Monza last year and since then we have kept in touch," he said. "He is a driver who deserves to be in formula one."
As for whether the much more heavily sponsored Felipe Nasr or Jolyon Palmer are also in the running, Steiner said: "To be honest, I haven't spoken with them."