Franchitti announces retirement
Honda F1 website
Honda website

NOVEMBER 15, 2013

Franchitti announces retirement

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and four time Indycar champion Dario Franchitti has announced that he will retire from the sport on medical advice following a crash in Houston last month.

Franchitti suffered concussion, spinal injuries and a fracture to his ankle in a crash which sent his Ganassi car into the catch fencing at the Indycar race at Houston.

Franchitti said, "Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority."

"I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received over the last several weeks. I'd also like to thank my family and friends for their unbelievable support.

"They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop."

"Racing has been my life for over 30 years and it's really tough to think that the driving side is now over. I was really looking forward to the 2014 season with Chip Ganassi Racing, with a goal of winning a fourth Indianapolis 500 and a fifth IndyCar Series championship."

Other stories for NOVEMBER 15, 2013

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - TEXAS BULLS AND ARROWS

FRIDAY PHOTOS

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

BUTTON PENALISED

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - SHORT STOP

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS

WAS PEREZ TOO ARROGANT?

FIA GIVES ALONSO GREEN LIGHT TO RACE IN AUSTIN

HAMILTON TO RACE NEW CHASSIS

HULKENBERG ADMITS 2014 LOTUS SEAT NOW UNLIKELY

RAIKKONEN UNDERGOES BACK SURGERY

SAUBER HAS PAID ELECTRICITY BILL SAYS KALTENBORN

KOVALAINEN LOOKING FOR 2014 CATERHAM SEAT

FRANCHITTI ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT