FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter - report
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JANUARY 4, 2017

FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter - report

Ferrari has reportedly made a bold bid to catch up in 2017 by designing a new suspension system, or have the Mercedes-pioneered concept banned by the FIA.

Germany's Auto Bild claims that for its 2017 car codenamed 668, Ferrari has come up with a Mercedes-like, hydraulically-networked chassis.

But before debuting it in late February, Ferrari "asked the FIA for clarification as to whether the (suspension) system is really legal".

"If not, Mercedes would have to remove it," said correspondent Bianca Garloff.

Ferrari is not commenting.

But the same news is being reported by Italy's authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport, adding that Red Bull also ran the Mercedes-like layout last year.

And the newspaper said the FIA has responded to Ferrari's clarification request by telling the teams the Mercedes-like system is not allowed.

Correspondent Paolo Filisetti wrote: "The world championship will not begin for three months, but the technical skirmish between the top teams has already reached a high level."

The FIA's decision to ban the concept is reportedly because it varies the right-height of the car, not simply to act as traditional suspension but for aerodynamic effect.

(GMM)

Other stories for JANUARY 4, 2017

MERCEDES TO LAUNCH 2017 CAR IN FEBRUARY

ALLISON DEPARTURE HURT FERRARI SAYS ALESI

FIA BANS MERCEDES CONCEPT AFTER FERRARI LETTER - REPORT

ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TASK FOR HAMILTON TEAMMATE SAYS MERHI

VANDOORNE PLAYS DOWN HAMILTON COMPARISON

POLITICS SPOILING MCLAREN PASSION SAYS RAMIREZ

RENAULT'S PALMER NOT RULING OUT 2017 PODIUM

HAAS BETTER FIT THAN RENAULT OR MCLAREN SAYS MAGNUSSEN

NO 2017 RETURN FOR HARYANTO