Ferrari seat not the plan for 2015 says Bianchi
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JULY 10, 2014

Ferrari seat not the plan for 2015 says Bianchi

Jules Bianchi staked a claim on a Ferrari race seat on Wednesday, setting the pace at the post-British grand prix Silverstone test.

Drafted in by Ferrari to replace Kimi Raikkonen after the Finn's high-speed crash last Sunday, Frenchman and Marussia driver Bianchi looked as impressive as Fernando Alonso had been in practice last weekend in the same F14-T car.

Moreover, Bianchi's 1 minute 35.2 laptime was more than a second faster than Raikkonen - who has notably struggled in 2014 - had managed in Silverstone practice.

Although clearly part of Ferrari's future plans, the 24-year-old played down the significance of his Silverstone speed, insisting differing wind conditions between the race weekend and the test played a significant role.

"But it's always good to do some good laptimes and to be consistent," he admitted. "Obviously it is much better to do a good job and a good laptime."

Nonetheless, Raikkonen is firmly under contract for 2015, and Bianchi acknowledged that a race seat with the Maranello team "is not the plan for next year".

Another major talking point at Silverstone on Wednesday was the prototype 18-inch low-profile tyre being tested by Pirelli and Lotus.

In charge was Lotus tester Charles Pic, and he said the tyre seemed "more nervous" than its 13-inch counterpart.

"These are just a prototype concept," explained Pirelli's Paul Hembery.

"But if the teams decided that they wanted us to proceed in this direction, we have the capability to come up with a production-ready version in a comparatively short space of time," he added.

A photo of the tyre in action can be seen at http://www.lotusf1team.com/ImageGen.ashx?width=1000&image=/media/1408/_r6t4591-2-copy.jpg

(GMM)

Other stories for JULY 10, 2014

MERCEDES TO REMOVE FRIC FOR HOCKENHEIM

CVC'S MACKENZIE BACKS ECCLESTONE IN COURT

VETTEL NOT SURE RED BULL CAN CATCH MERCEDES FOR 2015

RAMIREZ SLAMS PEREZ FOR WRONG ATTITUDE

SAINZ DEBUT AT HOCKENHEIM POSSIBLE?

FERRARI SEAT NOT THE PLAN FOR 2015 SAYS BIANCHI

DOMINANT MERCEDES TO LOSE EXTREME FRIC ADVANTAGE

MERCEDES HAS DUTY TO LET DRIVERS RACE SAYS PATRICK HEAD

HOCKENHEIM TICKET DISCOUNT OFFER BACKFIRES