NOVEMBER 10, 2015
Ferrari not eyeing F1's commercial rights
Sergio Marchionne has ruled out a scenario in which Ferrari buys into F1's commercial rights.
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has indicated the sport's controlling shareholders CVC might be looking to move on within the next couple of months.
So, might Ferrari - almost certainly the most historic and important brand within formula one - be interested?
"The answer is simple: we do not think about it," Ferrari president Marchionne said. "It is an issue that concerns FOM and is their problem alone.
"There are huge challenges that are faced but I do not think Ferrari is interested in getting involved with them," he added.
Marchionne said Ferrari's primary concern this year has been ending the title slump that lasted from Kimi Raikkonen's championship in 2007 until last season.
The Maranello marque will at least finish the 2015 season second overall behind Mercedes, but Marchionne said Ferrari is on track for a full title tilt next year.
"The new car has been in development for almost a year and I am very happy with the work that has been done," he said.
"Last year we had difficulties with the management, but we have managed to reverse the situation. Now it is important to have a good two remaining races in Brazil and Abu Dhabi and begin the preparations for 2016."
Lead driver Sebastian Vettel agrees, insisting that despite a bad result in Mexico recently, Ferrari has continued to make progress throughout this year.
"In Mexico we had our worst race in terms of the result, but we also saw that our pace is encouraging. Do not forget that eight or nine months ago we were 1.3 or 1.4 seconds from the best, and now it is half a second or less," said the German.
"The development we have done throughout the season has been considerable," Vettel added. "It is not yet enough, but we are definitely working in the right direction."