OCTOBER 17, 2012
Ferrari confirms Massa
Ferrari has now officially confirmed a contract extension for Felipe Massa that takes the Brazilian into an eighth successive season at Maranello after he replaced Rubens Barrichello alongside Michael Schumacher for the 2006 season.
"Ferrari is my sporting family," Massa said. "First I want to thank president Montezemolo and Stefano Domenicali, who gave me confidence which I have always maintained, even in the most difficult moments.
"Both the team and the fans can be assured I will do all that is in my power to help the Scuderia to achieve the goals that arise every year."
Team principal Domenicali added: "We are pleased to have extended our relationship with Felipe for another year. He has shown, especially in the latter part of the season, to be competitive at the highest level, as we expect from every driver behind the wheel of a Ferrari.
"We always supported Felipe, even in the most difficult moments of his career. We are confident of his value and that he will repay the trust that has been renewed."
Massa clearly did not perform at the level required of a Ferrari driver in the first half of the season but has recently raised his game, Having scored only 11 points up to mid-season at Silverstone, he has taken 70 points since then.
Speaking in Korea, Massa outlined that his difficult start to the year was compounded by Ferrari's relative lack of qualifying pace and that, while the team still needs to progress in that area, the second half of the year has been better.
"It's a lot easier when you start near the front..." he said.