Family says Bianchi still unconscious
Honda F1 website
Honda website

DECEMBER 31, 2014

Family says Bianchi still unconscious

Jules Bianchi is still unconscious, his family has revealed in a statement.

The French driver lost control of his Marussia during early October's rainy Japanese grand prix and struck a trackside recovery vehicle.

"Jules' neurological status remains unchanged," his family announced in an end-of-year medical update. "He is unconscious but able to breathe unaided.

"Whilst there is no significant information to report, we take a great deal of comfort from the fact that Jules continues to fight, as we knew he would, and this has enabled the medical professionals caring for him to commence the planned, but very painstaking, programme of rehabilitation therapy," the statement added.

Last month, 25-year-old Bianchi was moved from the hospital in Japan to one in his native France, which parents Philippe and Christine said was "significant and very comforting".

Initially in the Nice university hospital's intensive care unit, Bianchi is now being cared for in the rehabilitation centre.

Earlier in December, former F1 driver Patrick Tambay was critical of the governing FIA's report which blamed Bianchi for the Suzuka crash.

Now, the Frenchman has told RMC Sport: "We must not point the finger at Jules.

"Everyone has been silent on this matter, but as the family cannot speak about it, we need to speak for them," he added.

(GMM)

Other stories for DECEMBER 31, 2014

VERSTAPPEN BOSS DENIES F1 CARS TOO EASY TO DRIVE

MCLAREN-HONDA JOINS CALL FOR ENGINE UNFREEZE

2014 EVEN WORSE THAN 2012 SAYS GROSJEAN

MARUSSIA STILL OWES TIMO GLOCK $1M

FAMILY SAYS BIANCHI STILL UNCONSCIOUS

AUSTRIAN BROADCASTER ORF RETHINKS F1 DEAL

SCHUMACHER RESPONDS TO FAMILY