Ecclestone still waiting for Monza GP progress
Honda F1 website
Honda website

MAY 2, 2016

Ecclestone still waiting for Monza GP progress

Bernie Ecclestone has suggested the uncertainty over the future of Monza's F1 race could continue to drag.

Reports suggested political and bureaucratic progress was made in the last couple of weeks over the expiring Italian grand prix deal, but F1 supremo Ecclestone is not as optimistic.

"This year the race is (happening) for sure but for the next few years I don't know," the 85-year-old was quoted by Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport at Sochi.

"We have talked about it but they are Italian, so we will probably know something on the Thursday before the race," he joked.

Ecclestone said he is more optimistic about the rest of the 2016 season, even though he caused a stir early this year by saying he wouldn't bother buying tickets.

"I am satisfied and I think it's much better than last year," said the Briton. "More interesting.

"Now we have Hamilton and Vettel in the role of chasers. Ferrari? There are still a lot of races, so I think we need to wait before we judge them," Ecclestone added.

(GMM)

Other stories for MAY 2, 2016

RACE REPORT - 007

FERRARI MUST CLOSE GAP QUICKLY SAYS MARCHIONNE

MERCEDES EYES STEP BACK TO RECOVER RELIABILITY

MARKO TO HAVE SERIOUS WORD WITH KVYAT

FERRARI WON'T GIVE UP ON 2016 TITLE SAYS ARRIVABENE

ECCLESTONE STILL WAITING FOR MONZA GP PROGRESS

MERCEDES GAP TO RIVALS IS CATASTROPHIC

FATHER HAS ACCEPTED RATZENBERGER DEATH

MICK MISSING MICHAEL ON ROAD TO F1