DECEMBER 2, 2016
Ecclestone opposed to format shakeup says Kaltenborn
F1 should consider shaking up the race weekend format.
That is the view of Monisha Kaltenborn, apparently echoing comments made recently by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone who said two shorter races per weekend might be more exciting.
But Kaltenborn told Deutschlandfunk radio that the person most staunchly against shaking up the weekend format in the past was Ecclestone himself.
"We've had this discussion before," said the Sauber team boss.
"It's exactly what the teams suggested, but at the time it was said it could not be done because the television times were set."
So Kaltenborn agrees that it would still be a good idea for the sport to consider a fundamental change.
"There must be the courage to open up for this, which has not been the case with Mr Ecclestone so far," she said.
"Is it really necessary the way we do it from Thursday to Sunday? It can be more exciting and it can be cheaper."
F1 is in the process of being taken over by Liberty Media.
When asked if there should be room in the future for 86-year-old Ecclestone, Kaltenborn answered: "I cannot tell anyone whether to go or not, because the job he has done has been fantastic.
"But I think you have to know when a new era is coming, and maybe you cannot contribute as much as before."