FEBRUARY 15, 2016
Dutch prince says F1 return ultimate dream
Zandvoort, an iconic former F1 circuit, could revive the long-defunct Dutch grand prix.
Late last year, we reported that the track - famously nestled among coastal sand dunes and a host of more than 30 grands prix until 1985 - was once again being linked with the F1 calendar.
"Everyone is enthusiastic about it, so I think the government and industry needs to tackle it together," a local politician said.
Now, the Dutch newspapers Algemeen Dagblad and De Telegraaf are reporting that Zandvoort has been bought by Prince Bernhard of Orange-Nassau.
He is the son of Princess Margriet Francisca, the aunt of the reigning monarch.
Reportedly, the prince and a business partner bought Zandvoort from Hans Ernst, who has owned the track for almost three decades.
When asked about the possibility of F1 returning to Holland, prince Bernhard said: "That is the ultimate dream."
He said the track will be developed.
"Assen has been well developed, and Zandvoort will follow, meaning that along with Zolder in Belgium there will be a strong triangle of circuits in this part of Europe," added the prince.