Button was close to Top Gear switch
Honda F1 website
Honda website

FEBRUARY 19, 2016

Button was close to Top Gear switch

Jenson Button has admitted he came close to leaving F1 in order to join the new lineup on the BBC motoring programme Top Gear in 2016.

Amid rumours the 2009 world champion was considering his future at McLaren-Honda last year, the Daily Mail newspaper claimed Button, 36, was simultaneously "in talks with the BBC".

Button appeared this week on the BBC Radio 2 programme hosted by Chris Evans, who is Top Gear's new main presenter.

He asked the driver: "When will we know this season as opposed to last season if you're definitely able to host Top Gear next year?"

Button laughed: "I knew that was coming."

Evans continued: "We were close though, weren't we? We were so close, then McLaren said 'No, we want him for another year'."

(GMM)

Other stories for FEBRUARY 19, 2016

FERRARI STREAMS SF15-H LAUNCH

MCLAREN ANNOUNCES RICHARD MILLE SPONSORSHIP

WILLIAMS REVEALS FW38

NEWEY LESS INVOLVED IN DESIGN DETAIL

TYRE RULES MAY NOT SPICE UP F1 SAYS HORNER

HORNER NOT RULING OUT 2017 RENAULT DEAL

HORNER RELAXED ABOUT RICCIARDO CONTRACT

RICCIARDO NO FAN OF NO-GLITZ F1 LAUNCHES

BUTTON WAS CLOSE TO TOP GEAR SWITCH

VERSTAPPEN CAUTIOUS AMID TORO ROSSO TALK

RAIKKONEN MUST BEAT VETTEL IN 2016 SAYS SALO

F1 MAY MISS CRASH-KING MALDONADO SAYS SALO

IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT HARYANTO BACKING SAYS ROSSI