NOVEMBER 1, 2016
Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone?
Ross Brawn has already signed a contract to become F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone's successor.
That is the claim this week of Auto Bild Motorsport, in the wake of reports confirming that the former Ferrari and Mercedes chief is interested in returning to the sport.
"For sure, trying to help F1 become a better F1 would be appealing," the 61-year-old told the Telegraph last week.
The Briton, who left F1 late in 2013 after falling out with Mercedes' Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda, is likely to be a popular pick after the American group Liberty Media bought the sport's commercial rights.
"If I need to vote for the return of Ross, then I am ready to do that," Wolff said last weekend in Mexico.
Germany's Auto Bild now claims not only that a contract between Brawn and Liberty has been signed, but that the governing FIA approves of the deal.
Indeed, Brawn and FIA president Jean Todt know each other well, having successfully presided over the ultra-successful Michael Schumacher era at Ferrari last decade.
Auto Bild said: "When the deal will be made official, and what role Bernie Ecclestone will play in the future, is not yet known."