Williams signs Massa for 2016 season?

JULY 20, 2015

Williams signs Massa for 2016 season?

Williams has taken up its contract 'option' on Felipe Massa for the 2016 season.

That is the claim of Diario Motorsport, a specialist Portuguese publication that in 2013 also correctly reported that the Brazilian driver was set to switch to the Grove team from Ferrari.

Now, hot on the heels of speculation Massa's current teammate Valtteri Bottas is heading to Ferrari next year, it is reported that Massa is definitely staying at Williams.

Earlier in July, 34-year-old Massa said he was hoping to stay at the British team.

"I like to work here," he said. "The team has treated me with great respect, we have performed well. I have not been talking to anyone else. Why change something?"

Just before the latest Bottas rumours exploded, the Finn had said Williams is going through "difficult times" as the much bigger-budgeted Mercedes and Ferrari aggressively develop their cars.

But Massa told UOL Esporte: "I think the pace we had at Silverstone shows that we know how to work, how to develop the car and we are on track to keep improving and be stronger than Ferrari at every race.

"We are still in the fight," he insisted.

(GMM)

Other stories for JULY 20, 2015

WILLIAMS SIGNS MASSA FOR 2016 SEASON?

LOTUS ORDERED TO PAY 27 BILLS

BIANCHI PLAN WAS FERRARI RACE SEAT SAYS DOMENICALI

SMALL MISTAKES LED TO BIANCHI DEATH

MICHELIN STILL IN RUNNING FOR 2017 DEAL

ALONSO NOT TO BLAME FOR CAREER DECISIONS SAYS SAINZ

HULKENBERG STILL EYEING RAIKKONEN'S SEAT

NURBURGRING ADMITS 2017 F1 RACE UNCERTAIN

CRITICS UNAWARE OF F1 CHALLENGE SAYS KVYAT