APRIL 6, 2015
Vergne sees chance for 2016 return
Jean-Eric Vergne says he will try to return to the F1 grid in 2016.
The Frenchman was dropped by Red Bull's junior team Toro Rosso at the end of last year, and he is now a simulator driver for Ferrari whilst racing in the Formula E series.
He says he is enjoying Formula E.
"You know, when you come from formula one but you are not in the best team and you need to beat a teammate who has a weight advantage, the whole of the season, and then you arrive in a car where everybody has the same, no weight disadvantage or these kinds of problems -± it's extremely easy," Vergne, 24, told Current E Insights.
He said Formula E is "more fun" than F1.
"In F1, if you touch one wheel or one white line, then you've got a drive through penalty or a 10 second penalty," said Vergne. "I don't find that it's really racing so much anymore."
But Vergne said he does not think his F1 opportunity has passed.
"I don't feel bad," Vergne insisted. "I quit Toro Rosso but I arrived in Ferrari and I still have chance to get back next year.
"I wouldn't say you'd get a chance after being away for two years, but after just one year, there's a chance."