Tost's podium target not possible says Sainz

MARCH 7, 2016

Tost's podium target not possible says Sainz

Carlos Sainz has questioned his boss's target of a podium finish on merit in 2016.

The Red Bull junior team's chief Franz Tost declared recently: "Realistically, I expect that we can achieve a podium this year after getting so close to it last year".

Indeed, Toro Rosso has switched from Renault to the more powerful, 2015-specification Ferrari engine, although it will not be developed throughout the season.

Max Verstappen says that is why it is important that the Faenza team has a fast early start to 2016.

As for Tost's podium prediction, however, teammate Sainz is quoted by El Mundo Deportivo: "I think the chance of a podium is low.

"Under normal circumstances, I don't think it's possible," said the young Spaniard.

"Mercedes and Ferrari are on another planet, and Williams and Red Bull should be behind them. We aspire to be the fifth team on the grid, so from 9th or 10th it is not easy to reach the podium.

"To do that, the circumstances would need to be abnormal," Sainz insisted.

(GMM)

Other stories for MARCH 7, 2016

PALMER DENIES 2015 CAUTION WILL CARRY OVER

F1 FIGURES HIT BACK AT ECCLESTONE

TOST'S PODIUM TARGET NOT POSSIBLE SAYS SAINZ

SAUBER FALLS BEHIND IN FEBRUARY STAFF SALARIES

VETTEL YET TO NAME 2016 TITLE CONTENDER

MASSA WANTS NEW NOSE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

ALONSO STILL NOT RULING OUT MERCEDES MOVE