MAY 29, 2016
Toro Rosso returns to Renault for 2017
Toro Rosso is returning to Renault power for 2017, it emerged ahead of Sunday's Monaco grand prix.
Earlier in Monaco, technical boss James Key had said the Faenza team wanted to improve its engine situation for 2017, as the year-old Ferrari units "are not developing".
"It would be nice to be current and have a developing unit," he added.
So Red Bull announced on Sunday not only that the premier team's Tag-Heuer branded deal has been extended for 2017 and 2018, but that Toro Rosso is switching camps too.
"After the reconstruction that Renault has undertaken, clear progress has been made which has made it logical to continue," said Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.
In a statement, Red Bull said the deal would involve the teams being able to "badge the power units as they wish".