APRIL 6, 2016
Schumacher to contest two F4 series in 2016
Mick Schumacher is taking on a busy calendar in 2016 as he continues his push towards formula one.
Now 17, F1 legend Michael Schumacher's son began his open wheel adventure last year in German Formula 4, but Bild reports that the young German will also race in parallel in the Italian series this season.
Driving for the Ferrari-linked Prema team, Schumacher's campaign kicks off at Misano this weekend, followed by the opening German round in Oschersleben the following weekend.
He got his season off to a good start this week, topping the testing times.
"At least at first he will do both series and over time we will see if he concentrates on one," manager Sabine Kehm told the German newspaper.
Kehm said it is good that Schumacher's schedule will be busy in 2016, explaining that the decision was taken against pushing Mick into the highly-competitive F3 Euro series this year.
"We have deliberately opted for another year in Formula 4 so that his training is not rushed and is as broad and deep as possible," she explained.
"With regards to later, that's important. Mick is still in the training phase, and this must not be forgotten," said Kehm.
Meanwhile, former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has again commented on the recovery of Michael Schumacher, having earlier this year said the news about the seven time world champion is "not good".
"I want to express very strongly my confidence," he is quoted by the Italian broadcaster Sky, "because in the past some of my words were misinterpreted.
"With strength and conviction, I am very confident about Michael's recovery and that he will make it. His strength is his great ability to react, so I am convinced that, surrounded by his family and with his own strength, he will fight back," Montezemolo added.