MARCH 8, 2016
Sainz says 2016 could be last chance at Toro Rosso
Carlos Sainz says he knows 2016 could be a make-or-break season for him in F1.
On the surface, Toro Rosso is fielding arguably its best-ever lineup in the form of Spaniard Sainz and Dutch sensation Max Verstappen, who were both impressive rookies last year.
But Sainz, 21, says he knows that is no guarantee of a long career on the grid, acknowledging he must continue to "impress" his Red Bull paymasters.
"I know what I have to do," he told the Spanish-language sports magazine Revista Elite. "My goal is to end up at Red Bull (Racing).
"I realise that when you arrive at Toro Rosso, you usually get only two or three years (there)," Sainz added, referring to Red Bull's junior team.
So while he needs to impress in 2016, Sainz insists he will not overdrive.
"I will not change my driving style. When I have to attack, I'll be the first to do it, and when you have to bring the car home I will do that as well."
That is despite the fact that his teammate Verstappen is regarded as perhaps the best rookie in the history of F1, having already impressed with his audacious overtaking moves last year.
But "I don't see much difference between him and me," Sainz insists.
"Last year I also did many good and spectacular things that maybe were not on TV, but the team saw them in the telemetry and the on-board," he said.
"I tell myself that if he (Verstappen) is the new Senna and I beat him, what does that make me? I have nothing to lose and I'm confident I can do it."